Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bruise On My Soul

I continue to be saddened and amazed at the celebratory response of America to the news of Osama Bin Laden’s death. It’s my firm personal belief that Osama succeeded in dragging down American and all it stands for by turning us into monsters that celebrate the death of a person, no matter how evil, that was not allowed the opportunity of a fair trial.

What sets us apart as individuals and as a nation is the premise of innocence until guilt is proven through a court of law. In Osama’s case, it’s my understanding that should have been through international laws at The Hague. The fact that America took it upon itself to be the judge, jury and executioner for Osama made me physically ill.

Yes, I personally believe Osama was guilty of horrendous crimes. I’m personally happy that he is no longer in this world to cause more havoc. I love my country and have proudly served in the United States Army. But that does not give me the right to take matters into my own hands and mete out justice. Nor should it be right for a nation to do the same. It scares me that this country is willing to do something like this and where it might lead us in the future. If this was so easy, what will we do next?

Yes, Osama killed a lot of people and caused the worst terrorist attack ever on American soil. But how many people have died from direct causal action (or inaction) of the United States? 

I celebrate no man's death and believe this will be a dark, dark bruise on the soul of America for a long time to come.

No comments: